Wednesday, November 26, 2008

First Online Endorsement

I don't usually endorse products on this family blog, but we found a book we like so well we thought we had to share it with our friends and family. It's called The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child by Alan Kazdin (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618773673). Now before you jump to any conclusions, I'll beat you to it -- of course my kids are "defiant". They are children, after all, and that certainly goes with the territory. And perhaps that's why we like this book so much -- Kazdin understands that to be a child is to be defiant and therefore to be a parent is to understand how to deal with it effectively. Kazdin is no novice or crackpot; he's the director of the Parenting Center and Child Conduct Clinic at Yale and has been researching for 30+ years. So the book is based on legitimate research and is brief, well written, and even funny.
I'm sure all of you have perfect children, but you may just want to check this out anyway.

1 comment:

Ritch in Love said...

Hi May Family! Just dropping by to see how you guys are doing! Your family is super cute!
I have heard of the program you are "endorsing" and I've heard really positive thoughts about it. I had trouble with my stepson when I first married my husband and some people mentioned this to me. Everything is fine now, but I wish I had checked it out earlier!
Hope you guys have a Happy Thanksgiving.